Scholarships for Students With Mental Health Problems: Learn Useful Resources
Posted on 02 Oct 20205 min read
A lot of American students suffer from anxiety, depression, and panic attacks. The thing is that people are always in a rush, especially when it comes to studying. Students have to follow all the teacher’s recommendations, and they should submit the assignments on time and be the first to know about all the news. If a person has some problems but cannot solve them on time, it may lead to anxiety and depression attacks.
Students who face mental health troubles often cannot find enough money to get by. In this article, we will discuss the most popular mental health problems students often deal with. Of course, you will also find out about the scholarships for such students.
The most popular mental health problems among college students
Let’s start with the discussion of the most popular mental health issues students have. Moreover, knowing the symptoms of each mental health disorder will help you pick up the right approach to support that person. Let’s get started.
- Anxiety and panic attacks. A lot of students suffer from anxiety attacks as they simply cannot feel safe. Trying to submit the assignment on time, get on well with their classmates, and lead a healthy lifestyle, they forget to relax and take up hobbies. It may lead to panic attacks and even depression.
- Depression. Students often suffer from depression as they go into a new period of life. The thing is that it is often impossible to understand that you struggle with depression attacks. That is why colleges should offer psychologists’ help to students who suffer from apathy and mood changes.
- Eating disorders. Such a disorder is characterized by unhealthy relations with food. Student can suffer from bulimia, anorexia, or orthorexia. Keep in mind that it is really hard to overcome such a problem unaided.
- Alcohol and drug addictions. It is important to find a specialist who will be helping you to go through the recovery process. When it comes to addictions, you have to stay patient and self-confident as the recovery process can take a lot of time.
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
- Bipolar affective disorder. This disorder is characterized by frequent mood swings, sleep disturbances, and bouts of depression. Such a problem must be solved together with a qualified specialist.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder. As the name suggests, this disorder appears after prolonged stress or mental trauma. It can be accompanied by depression, panic attacks, and mood changes.
Steps We Can Take To Help Students With Mental Health Problems
Sometimes students with mental disorders need our help but they are afraid to tell that. Therefore, we should learn the steps we can take to facilitate education process for people with mental health problems. Whether you are a student or a teacher, it is essential to know such methods and recommendations.
- Special seating during classes. Such students need to seat close to the exit so as to leave the classroom when they need to.
- Replace the verbal assignments. If the person is not comfortable with verbal tasks, replace them with the written ones. Take enough time to carefully explain all the requirements.
- Extend the deadline. If you think the student cannot handle the task in a required term, try to extend the deadline. Also, you should explain the task to find out whether a person has additional questions.
- Record the lesson. When students with mental health problems are ill, you need to record the lecture and send the record. Keep in mind that you can contact that student’s friends or parents to ask them if everything is okay.
- Stay open and sincere. You need to tell the student that they can rely on you. It is important to know that you have somebody to lean on. Try to be those students’ friend even if it seems hard for you.
Useful Recommendations For College Students With Mental Disabilities
Having a mental disability is not the end of the world. Of course, you should stay tuned with the latest updates on resources for people with mental health problems. However, there are several tips and tricks that will help you facilitate your life, especially when it comes to studying. Look at our recommendations:
- Treat yourself as a child. When you need some rest, or you want to go to the cinema, do it. Sometimes we all need to feel like children, but we do not have anybody to rely on.
- Stay patient and calm. The recovery process takes a lot of time and energy, so you have to be patient. Do not worry about the results of the tests or exams. However, make sure to put effort into studying as this is your best investment into the future.
- Join local support communities. When you are surrounded by people who have the same problems, it helps you get through the recovery process easier. Talk about your problems and express feelings as it helps you get rid of negative thoughts.
- Manage your schedule. It is important to be busy with different volunteer events and charity work. Try to find a part-time job or go for a walk with your dog when you have some free time.
- Take enough time to relax. Get enough sleep and try to take up new hobbies that make you happier. It is essential to know that your life is interesting and exciting.
The List Of Scholarships For Students With Mental Health Troubles
Remember that you can get financial support from different mental health help organizations. You can learn the requirements by reading more about every scholarship. However, in this article, we share the scholarship programs you can apply to.
- Baer Reintegration Scholarship.
- Delete Cyberbullying Scholarship Award.
- Buckfire&Buckfire Disability Scholarship Program.
- Frederick J. Krause AAHD Scholarships.
- The Jared Monroe Foundation Scholarship.
- The John Lepping Memorial Scholarship.
- The Disabled Veterans Scholarship by The Ankin Law Office.
- The Quell Foundation Survivor Scholarship.
- The Jack Scura Fund Scholarship.
- The Wells Fargo Scholarship for Students with Disabilities.
- The Microsoft Disability Scholarship.
- The JED Student Voice Scholarship Award.
- The Andrew Q. Peschard Memorial Scholarship.
- The Heroes Fund Scholarship.
- The Google Lime Scholarship Award.
Remember that it is 100% possible to win a scholarship if you put enough effort into it. Stay self-confident and do not give up. You are strong, and you will get through everything to reach wellness.
Final Words To Support You
If you have a mental disorder, do not be afraid to talk about that. Look for professional psychological help or special help centers. It is possible to win a scholarship that will cover some of your expenses. Usually, you have to write a motivational letter or submit some other tasks.
If your friend or classmate struggles with mental health problems, make sure to offer your help and support. It is important to let the person know that they can lean on you when they need it. Stay kind and open to people who suffer from mental disorders. And, of course, follow our recommendations to avoid stress and overexertion.